Friday, January 15, 2010

What I did Today!


Sorry for the late post today. This is what I've been up to today. I had a baby shower cake order and the picture they brought was a cake covered in fondant and had animals on it made with fondant as well. Well I told them up front, I just don't do fondant. In the first place it really doesn't taste good (IMO) and in the second, people usually don't want to pay the extra for it. They also gave me a napkin they were using for their theme. Hmmm what to do? I lost most of my cake decorating supplies/stash in the fire so my resources there were limited and on such short notice (they only brought the picture on Monday) I really didn’t have time to run to the city, (I would have drove, not run, but you get the idea.) LOL and I had checked Wal-Mart for ideas, but that went nowhere fast. So what to do? Ok, I already said that! I of course turned to my stamping and knew immediately that my problem was solved. I’ve laminated photos to put on cakes why not stamped images? And I just happened to have just bought the new set Fox and Friends stamp set from the Occasions Mini Catalog. I’m good to go right? Well almost, they wanted blocks for the top of the cake. SU’s MDF wood blocks would be perfect, but I didn’t have any on hand (you saw the ones I did in yesterday’s post) so I visited our local Ben Franklin and found some smaller wood blocks, covered them in DSP, added the word BOY using my SU exclusive Big Shot alphabet and some more stamped images and I was in business. I think it turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Besides that they will have no yucky fondant to pull off and the topper could be saved as a keepsake for the baby or used in the nursery and the laminated animals could be used in the baby’s scrapbook. What a concept! I am good, if I do say so myself. LOL


So that’s my story for today. Thanks for stopping by. See ya next time.
Renee

8 comments:

Unknown said...

it's an SU cake! Love it!

mmm... cake ;)

Heather Wachtman said...

Congratulations! I just wanted you to know that your project will appear on the Yahoo Group Late Night Stamper’s blog finds of the day for January 16th. Want to receive your own copy of the blog finds of the day? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stampinuplnstampers/ or visit our Blog Finds of the Day Blog at http://blogfindsoftheday.blogspot.com.

Carin said...

Na, The cake turned out great... too cute! A SU designer cake... who needs fondant???
love ya.

Pam B said...

Great Job on the Cake you are just to cleaver !!

Heidi said...

It really is a cute cake. Very resourceful! I agree, who wants fondant, anyway. Especially when you can work butter cream to look this cute!

Lindsay said...

Very cute mommy!!!

Kim said...

Great looking cake. Love how you added SU products!

You are a true demo.

Anonymous said...

You are incredible!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails