Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Sock Monkey Obsession

Yes, I have to admit it! I have a Sock Monkey obsession. When did it start? Well it probably started years ago when my aunt made me my first Sock Monkey. I slept with Sock Monkey most of my life, up until the time I got married. And admittedly so that Sock Monkey is really worn out and sort of falling apart. He’s been put away for years. After all I don’t think Frank would appreciate Sock Monkey sleeping with us. Shortly before the fire my sister Chele and my girls went to Frankenmuth for the weekend and they bought me a brand new Sock Monkey. My love was rekindled. Then the fire happened and of course Sock Monkey got smoke inhalation and had to be sent to the cleaners with everything else. Well both Sock Monkey’s came back, first one still not in great shape, but he is a keeper none the less. The new Sock Monkey now sits in a chair in my kitchen. I’m really getting to a point. Just hang on a little. Then my sister Carin bought me some Sock Monkey scrapbook paper and I thought, what a great find and I should start a Sock Monkey adventure and scrapbook Sock Monkey’s adventures. Well since then I really haven’t had time to scrapbook, but I have taken pictures and I have also received a few other Sock Monkey gifts, so I guess I’m on my way to a Sock Monkey collection. And the whole obsession thing? I think has to do with the fact that Sock Monkey reminds me of my childhood and I had a great childhood and it gives me that connection to the “good old days.” Oh no! Does that mean I’m getting old? Heaven’s no! You can’t be old and still play with Sock Monkeys now can ya? *grin*

So I thought I’d share a few of the items I’ve collected (and of course Sock Monkey himself) and also a card that I made as well. Hope you enjoy and if you have any Sock Monkey memories you’d like to share please do so.


 Sock Monkey at Stamp Camp with Myrna.



Sock Monkey eating shrimp cocktail at Thanksgiving.


Sock Monkey's first Christmas


Sock Monkey candy jar from Lindsay.  I love this and it sits on my kitchen counter.  The red goes so great in my new kitchen.

Sock Monkey mug from my dear friend Ruth.  I love this mug and use it all the time.  It's actually tall so it is like drinking out of a glass and works great for Diet Pepsi.


My latest gift from Lindsay.  Didn't you just love these little pop up toys when you were a kid?  I know I did and now they have a retro toy area in Target or so I've been told.  I might have to check it out.

And last but not least here is my Sock Monkey card.  When SU came out with this set 2 summers ago you can guess what was on my first order.  Love this little guy.

Thanks for letting me share my obsession.
Renee

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the sock monkey collection!! I have the paper too, but only just got the stamp sets when they were on sale in November. Can't believe I waited so long!!

Rhonda L. said...

I share your obsession! My Dad's cousin made these and sold them at craft fairs. She had made me one but after several moves & several states he somehow disappeared. But I do have the stamp set and a pair of sock monkey house slippers!
Love the card-a pink sock monkey!-doesn't get any better!

Kim said...

Love the sock monkey. He gets around more than I do.

That cookie jar is too precious

Jennifer Aviles said...

Adorable! I will have to show Adrianna. Thanks for sharing with me, Renee! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails